[BRLTTY] Would BRLTTY be of use on Android?

Rob Hudson captinlogic at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 12:07:52 EST 2011

Nolan Darilek nolan at thewordnerd.info writes:
How, exactly? Stop thinking of only phones, and realize that we're
talking about tablets as well. Also, stop thinking of them as devices
for talking and texting, but rather as small computers. People are
already surfing the web, reading books and performing other tasks on
their iDevices in Braille, and it seems to work for them. If you don't
want that, just leave the portable display behind.
I admit that I haven't kept up very well with the current braille displays,
so I don't know how portable they are these days. Last time I used a
dedicated braille display unit, and not a notetaker, it was a tabletop unit
connected via serial port and used with telesensory screenpower.
That being said I guess you're right inasmuch as that I was thinking in
terms of phones and not tiny computers. I mean, you want to use your cell
phone while standing on a street corner or whatnot and given my current
knowledge you cant do that with a braille display.
I also have no idea what android accessibility is like either, so I freely
admit coming in with a great deal of ignorance and would love to be
educated. The thing that is putting me off checking into it is the fact that
I heard android uses the espeak synth and I can't understand that thing at
all, no matter how hard I try. So if we can indeed get braille working on
it, I might invest in an android tablet.