[BRLTTY] Would BRLTTY be of use on Android?

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Nov 17 15:30:03 EST 2011

[quoted lines by Nolan Darilek on 2011/11/17 at 12:05 -0600]

>I briefly examined the installation process, and it looked like a
>config file might be necessary? The most ideal case would be to pair
>a bluetooth display and have it come up almost immediately, but we're
>not going to have that yet. The next most likely possibility is that
>the bluetooth display is paired, and then someone runs a separate
>service that either lets the user choose from a list of displays, or
>sees that only one is available and configures it. My point is that
>the user doesn't have access to a full command line and has limited
>access to the filesystem such that it is practically useless to them.
>So the use case needs to be as simple as possible.

All the braille devices that are Bluetooth-capable that I'm aware of can be
auto-detected. In other words, they all suppor thte concept of the host sending
some particular byte sequence (different for ech model) and then they respond
with some particular byte sequence. Brltty knows how to handle this.

At a more primitive level, the user could use the GUI to select from a list of
supported models and then write the configuration file..

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.