[BRLTTY] Contraction error and patch: Irredeemable

Lee Maschmeyer leemer1 at comcast.net
Wed Aug 1 13:09:59 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 11:47:40PM -0400, Dave Mielke wrote:
> [quoted lines by Lee Maschmeyer on 2012/07/30 at 16:02 -0400]
>
> >The words Irredeemable and friends (irredeemability, irredeemableness
> >etc) should not use the ed sign:
>
> The same would be true, of course, for "irreducible" and friends.

Already correct.

> What,
> however, about "irredenta"?

I don't have any examples so I wouldn't touch it until somebody
complains and can justify their conclusions. The rules say that
contractions should be used in a rather free manner so the ed sign
there would be used unless there's a counter principle. I do note that
in irredeemable the ir is a negating prefix. The base word is
redeemable. However, there is no such word as redenta so the ir there
is not a negating prefix but just part of the word.

Moreover you're going from an unaccented to an accented syllable which
is permissible for contractions. So I suspect the ed is OK there.

--

Lee Maschmeyer

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear
to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than
what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
     --Lewis Carroll