[BRLTTY] Keypad bindings and copy buffer

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Aug 8 13:41:32 EDT 2012

[quoted lines by Lee Maschmeyer on 2012/07/28 at 15:22 -0400]

>However, the bindings for the copy buffer (Begin, Append, Rectangular
>copy, Linear copy) all refer to the cursor for the relevant character
>to reference. In a text console at least, these are imho less than
>optimal. If we happen to be in an editor we can move the cursor, but
>when we're at the command prompt or in very many programs (less, lynx,
>...) the cursor isn't under our control.
>
>However, if there's a braille display connected, the braille window is
>under our control, and if there's no braille display the speech
>location is similarly movable by the user. How about this algorithm:
>
>If a braille display is in use, then Begin copy and Append copy refer
>to the leftmost character in the braille window. Rectangular and
>Linear copy both refer to the rightmost character in that window.

I don't like this alternative for two reasons. The first is that it ends up
including more characters than are wanted. The second, and more important, is
that there are other functions, like describe character, which must also be
considered. I believe that, whatever we do, we need to be able to select a
specific character in all cases.

>If there's no braille display in use, those four functions refer to the
>current speech (Say Character) location.

I also don't particularly like solutions that aren't explicit. It becomes
ambiguous, for example, if a user is using both braille and speech. Also, from
a user perspective, it'd be confusing for it to work one way today and another
way tomorrow, when the only difference is that he's using braille today but not
tomorrow.

>A couple less automatic but perhaps more acceptable alternatives come
>to mind. One is to have a preference, Favor Speech Position In Copy
>Buffer, defaulting to Off.

Again, this doesn't deal with other functions like describe character.

>Another possibility, if feasible, is that if these four functions can have the
>Speak Current Character key added, then the speech location is referenced.

That'd involve adding a lot of new functions.

What do you (and others) think about a modification to your proposals. We could
simply use the "show speech cursor" setting, which already defaults to "no". If
it's "no" then we use the system cursor. If, however, it's "yes" then we use
the speech cursor.

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.
EMail: dave at mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | http://Mielke.cc/now.html