[BRLTTY] Keypad bindings and copy buffer

Lee Maschmeyer leemer1 at comcast.net
Thu Aug 9 08:39:24 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 01:41:32PM -0400, Dave Mielke wrote:
> What do you (and others) think about a modification to your proposals. We
> could simply use the "show speech cursor" setting, which already defaults
> to "no". If it's "no" then we use the system cursor. If, however, it's
> "yes" then we use the speech cursor.

Elegant! But I don't much like this. It distorts the displayed text on
every single braille string (window). Moreover, if the system cursor
happens to be in the same place and you use the default (dot 8) speech
cursor, that indicator disappears.

We can always position the braille window anywhere we want so the
Describe Character function could be made, optionally of course, to
refer to the leftmost character on the braille display.

How about something, by a much better name though, like this:

Keypad commands reference: System cursor | braille window | speech location

Or if it's not too heinous:

keypd char cmds reference ...

WRT another comment, that using the braille window is likely to
include too much text: If I care, and it can be left to me to decide
whether I do or not, I can scoot the braille window over to get
exactly what I need. Or alternatively I can trim the text after I
paste it.

--

Lee Maschmeyer

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear
to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than
what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
     --Lewis Carroll