[BRLTTY] Keypad bindings and copy buffer

Nicolas Pitre nico at fluxnic.net
Thu Aug 9 16:43:44 EDT 2012

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012, Lee Maschmeyer wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 10:39:48AM -0400, Nicolas Pitre wrote:
> >
> > What I don't understand is why you need this?
>
> Say, rather, why I would like to have it: To have a stable user
> interface regardless of which braille display I happen to be using. To
> have things work even if parts of said display are broken or
> unreliable. In case brltty doesn't support that display the way I want
> it to be supported. *

You still need cursor routing keys if you wish to be efficient with
character position based features, no?  I would understand if you were
operating BRLTTY with speech only, but having to move a cursor before
marking a region for text copy is rather very clumsy in comparison.
Given that the BC640 does have routing keys I wonder why you would be
willing to work without them.

> And, a law that ought to have somebody's name associated with it:
> Anything that _can_ be done _will_ be done.
>
> * I have an Alva BC640. It can be used both online and offline. To be
> consistent I want autorepeat to be enabled in the device itself so I
> have repeating keys in both modes. But brltty can't handle repeating
> keys, thus making the copy buffer unusable without resetting that
> function. So I'd like to use the keypad for all functions to get away
> from this limitation.

If the BC640 reports auto-repeated keys with consecutive press events
then the BRLTTY driver could just ignore subsequent press events for
each keys until the release event is seen.  This way that wouldn't make
a difference if auto-repeat is enabled or not in the device.

Nicolas