[BRLTTY] Keypad bindings and copy buffer

Nicolas Pitre nico at fluxnic.net
Thu Aug 9 22:50:01 EDT 2012

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012, Dave Mielke wrote:

> [quoted lines by Nicolas Pitre on 2012/08/09 at 16:43 -0400]
>
> >You still need cursor routing keys if you wish to be efficient with
> >character position based features, no?  I would understand if you were
> >operating BRLTTY with speech only, but having to move a cursor before
> >marking a region for text copy is rather very clumsy in comparison.
> >Given that the BC640 does have routing keys I wonder why you would be
> >willing to work without them.
>
> He's not wanting to constantly go into the BC640's menu to turn key repeating
> on (for offline) and off (for online).

OK.  I'm finally making the connection between that and the subject of
this thread just now.

IMHO this is totally ridiculous.  Having one refrain from using routing
keys to cut buffers just because the device's auto repeat is messing
things up is insane.  That ought to be overcome somehow.

> >If the BC640 reports auto-repeated keys with consecutive press events
> >then the BRLTTY driver could just ignore subsequent press events for
> >each keys until the release event is seen.
>
> But it sends repeated press/release event pairs. The routing keys don't repeat,
> but the navigation keys do. Key combinations involving a routing key plus a
> navigation key, therefore, are problematic.

OK... Are those events time stamped?  Is the release from the first
repetition and the press from the second repetition close enough so they
could be discarded as not coming from a human action?

Nicolas