[BRLTTY] Keypad bindings and copy buffer

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Aug 9 23:44:01 EDT 2012

[quoted lines by Nicolas Pitre on 2012/08/09 at 22:50 -0400]

>IMHO this is totally ridiculous.  Having one refrain from using routing
>keys to cut buffers just because the device's auto repeat is messing
>things up is insane.  That ought to be overcome somehow.

Yes, I agree.

>OK... Are those events time stamped?

The packets are received, and only barely interpreted, by the driver, whereas
the events are handled by the core. The device doesn't timestamp the packets.

Brltty could add the overhead of arbitrarily timestamping every single key
event for all devices (including the keyboard), though. If that's an overhead
we're willing to take, it can easily be done. The only negative impact, I
suppose, would realistically be on battery drain. It's probably not that much
in the overall scheme of things as key presses don't happen all that often.

>Is the release from the first repetition and the press from the second
>repetition close enough so they could be discarded as not coming from a human
>action?

Yes, I believe so. I guess adding that kind of support would also be good to
protect against contact bounce. We'll have to figure out a nice way for the key
table support to delay release event processing. As always, though, it should
be doable.

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.
EMail: dave at mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | http://Mielke.cc/now.html