[BRLTTY] brl_identify()

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sat Feb 25 14:52:09 EST 2012

[quoted lines by timothyhobbs at seznam.cz on 2012/02/25 at 12:21 +0100]

>Do I understand correctly that brl->buffer is in the format of the braille
>byte?  AKA Dot's 1-8 correspond to bits 0-7 in the format:
>03
>14
>25
>67

Yes.

>Is it possible to tell brltty to give me 6 dot braille? Or if I want to do 6
>dots do I have to do the conversion my self?

There shouldn't be any need for conversion. Just ignore the bits for dots 7 and
8. Those two dots are in computer braille, but not in literary braille, and, in
the computer world, tend to be used for such things as showing the cursor
position, indicating that a letter is in uppercase, etc. Wehre do you feel
there might be a need for conversion from 8-dot to 6-dot braille?

>I don't know if I mentioned earlier, but my current device is 6 dots,

No, you didn't, but it makes sense when prototyping to keep things as simple as
possible.

>and 8 dots is too many(I only have 5 fingers on each hand.)

I don't understand. One usually reads braille with only one finger.

>In terms of serial IO.  I'm not sure why I should use io_generic.h I'm sending
>streams of bytes through USB serial to the device.  For now, I'm testing my
>driver using printf and gets...  I then need to convert these functions to
>io_generic.h functions.  For that I may need your help.  I do not know at all
>how io_generic is supposed to work...

It was designed to be easy, so it won't be much trouble. I'll help you with it
when the time comes.

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.
EMail: dave at mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | http://Mielke.cc/now.html