[BRLTTY] brl_identify()

timothyhobbs at seznam.cz timothyhobbs at seznam.cz
Sat Feb 25 17:32:51 EST 2012

> Od: Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc>
> Předmět: Re: [BRLTTY] brl_identify()
> Datum: 25.2.2012 20:52:33
> [quoted lines by timothyhobbs at seznam.cz on 2012/02/25 at 12:21 +0100]
>
> >Do I understand correctly that brl->buffer is in the format of the braille
> >byte?  AKA Dot's 1-8 correspond to bits 0-7 in the format:
> >03
> >14
> >25
> >67
>
> Yes.

That is excelent.

> >Is it possible to tell brltty to give me 6 dot braille? Or if I want to do 6
> >dots do I have to do the conversion my self?
>
> There shouldn't be any need for conversion. Just ignore the bits for dots 7 and
>
> 8. Those two dots are in computer braille, but not in literary braille, and, in
>
> the computer world, tend to be used for such things as showing the cursor
> position, indicating that a letter is in uppercase, etc. Wehre do you feel
> there might be a need for conversion from 8-dot to 6-dot braille?

Well they are needed for capital letters, numbers, symbols, ect...  Simply throw them away, and all of a sudden 1 becomes 'a' and 2 becomes 'b'.  I want my prototype working, so yes, I will have to translate...  I'll look into how best to do this latter though.  Since I don't think it's best that I do this within my driver.  I do however, want to get things usable as quickly as possible...

> >I don't know if I mentioned earlier, but my current device is 6 dots,
>
> No, you didn't, but it makes sense when prototyping to keep things as simple as
>
> possible.
>
> >and 8 dots is too many(I only have 5 fingers on each hand.)
>
> I don't understand. One usually reads braille with only one finger.

One uses one finger if they are reading a braille cell.  I'm streching the deffinition of braille a little bit here, and saying that anything that can pas 6-8 bits of information to the user.  My current prototype consists of 6 wheels that either spin, or don't spin depending on their value...

> >In terms of serial IO.  I'm not sure why I should use io_generic.h I'm sending
>
> >streams of bytes through USB serial to the device.  For now, I'm testing my
> >driver using printf and gets...  I then need to convert these functions to
> >io_generic.h functions.  For that I may need your help.  I do not know at all
> >how io_generic is supposed to work...
>
> It was designed to be easy, so it won't be much trouble. I'll help you with it
> when the time comes.

Well I'm done with everything now, but the actual serial communication and dealing with the keycodes(which really isn't important at this alpha stage...)  And it seems to me that I may be able to figure out the serial communication on my own.  I've just reread the voyager driver code and I think I understand it now.  I got scared, because there is a whole bunch of device identification code in there that doesn't apply to arduinos(the manufacture of the arduino has no bearing on the actual firmware that has been installed on it.)  Indeed, going to bed now, I think I have almost finished code.  So the 90% is done, now just for that damned 10% and I'll be locally famous(though none the richer for it) :)

Thank you for all your help,
Timothy Hobbs