[BRLTTY] Bluetooth connection problem with Handy Tech Active Braille

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Jul 4 13:16:15 EDT 2012

[quoted lines by Lars Bjørndal on 2012/07/04 at 14:18 +0200]

>I get an RFCOMM connect error 111: Connection refused. I have
>braille-driver ht and braille-device bluetooth:<address> in my
>/etc/brltty.conf file. In the /var/lib/bluetooth/<sub folder>/, I have a
>pincodes file with the address and the pincode.

There are a number of possibilities for the connection refused error. To
understand the error, I'll explain what it means in the more familiar IP
environment. In that environment it means that the host is up and reachable,
but that no service is listening on the requested port. For Bluetooth, it means
something very similar - that the device is on, reachable, and paired, but that
the device has no profile using the requested RFCOMM channel. The two most
likely possibilities, therefore, are:

First: Perhaps you've specified the address of a device which is visible to
your system, but which isn't your braille device. Please, therefore,
double-check your braille device specification.

Second: Although unlikely, it could be that the HT driver is requesting an
RFCOMM connection to the wrong channel. Please do an "sdptool browse
<address>" on your braille device and post the output to the list for us to
analyze.

>I'm pretty sure that it did work some time ago. Since then, BRLTTY is
>upgraded to the most recent, and I've cross upgraded my system from 32
>to 64 bit.

Neither should matter.

>The Braille Star works on bluetooth.

That's a good sign.

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.
EMail: dave at mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | http://Mielke.cc/now.html