[BRLTTY] Need a little help

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Jul 4 17:33:32 EDT 2012

[quoted lines by Chris on 2012/07/04 at 23:20 +0200]

>Brltty write its startupline to the screen if i run sudo brltty. but if i run
>it as user the startup line will read by speech-dispatcher. if i run it as
>root not.

The (stupid) reason that speech won't work when you run brltty as root is
because that's a pulse audio (the sound server) restriction. I get around it by
running a system instance of pulse audio, but getting that set up right isn't
easily done. Running brltty via sudo should be fine as that'll give brltty its
root privileges and also give pulse audio your user session.

>No :) i clearly hold capslock while i pressed f1 :).

Okay. Just checking. I don't assume anything when there are problems.

The keyboard key table definitely won't work if brltty isn't running as root
(or via sudo).

>i activate the debugmode in the configfile for a while because i dont get it
>speak :). ill send it.

In brltty.conf, you should have the following two lines:

   log-level debug
   log-file /path/to/logfile

>> When you have the log file, just attach it to a message to this list.
>As attachment or inline text?

As an attachment would be best.

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.
EMail: dave at mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | http://Mielke.cc/now.html