[BRLTTY] Alva BC640 perkins input

Nicholas Dechman ndechman at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 9 14:31:47 EDT 2012

My Alva BC640 behaves in an interesting way.

When I connect the device to my computer -- before I turn on BrlTTY, I am able to type on the perkins keys as if the alva was a standard USB keyboard, but, of course, the device's braille display doesn't do anything.

Once I turn on BrlTTY, I get the expected text on the braille display, but the perkins keys no longer do anything.

One potential problem is that the Alva's keyboard and display appear to be different devices with different port numbers.

Can anybody point me in the right direction to get the whole thing working at the same time?

thanks!
-Nick