[BRLTTY] Alva BC640 perkins input

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Mon Jul 9 22:55:39 EDT 2012

Nicholas Dechman <ndechman at yahoo.com> wrote:
> My Alva BC640 behaves in an interesting way.
>
> When I connect the device to my computer -- before I turn on BrlTTY, I am able to type on the perkins keys as if the alva was a standard USB keyboard, but, of course, the device's braille display doesn't do anything.
>
> Once I turn on BrlTTY, I get the expected text on the braille display, but the perkins keys no longer do anything.
>
> One potential problem is that the Alva's keyboard and display appear to be different devices with different port numbers.
>
> Can anybody point me in the right direction to get the whole thing working at the same time?

I can't help with this, but there have been issues discussed on the list with
different versions of Alva's firmware. Which version are you running?

Also, does the keyboard appear as a human input device to the USB interface?
If so, then it really should work, since this is supported at the operating
system level rather than by BRLTTY. I suppose you could make sure that BRLTTY
isn't intercepting the keyboard just to eliminate that variable from the
situation.