[BRLTTY] feedback to the latest improvements was: Re: Error when building BRLTTY

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon May 21 05:31:59 EDT 2012

[quoted lines by Sebastian Humenda on 2012/05/20 at 10:24 +0200]

>Ah, that was Eric. It might be a good idea to try out those, since right control
>and right shift aren't used by any of the screen readers known to me.

Should we keep CapsLock for the bindings we already have in the laptop key
table, or change them to some other key? If to another key, to which one?

Eric's bindings for the new speech functions use right control and right shift
in combination with enter and the four arrow keys.

>Indeed, for Orca. I don't use Speakup (and I'll never be, since BRLTTY does a
>even better job).

Are we still missing any functions? You noted that Orca has "say time", which
we don't have. Should we have it? What else are we still missing?

>Ok, but then we should always have a close look at what key bindings are used by
>which screen reader. AFAIK, e. g. Orca Caps+d for date/time access and BRLTTY
>uses it to describe a character.

Could someone please put together for me a full list of Orca's and Speakup's
bindings that I can keep for reference? I don't want any collisiions so that
users can use whatever combination of screen readers that they want to at any
time.

>I've changed the key table, which worked in 4.2 and I just copied it
>to the 4.4. If you could have a look, we could at least exclude this as the
>problem.
>I've attached it to this mail.

Are you saying that the key table you attachede to your message does work but
that the up-to-date one doesn't work?

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.
EMail: dave at mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | http://Mielke.cc/now.html