[BRLTTY] BRLTTY 4.3, Ubuntu 12.04, Focus 40: Strange behaviour

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed May 30 10:54:02 EDT 2012

[quoted lines by Michela Botti on 2012/05/30 at 10:55 +0200]

>My Focus 40 braille display immediately started to work during boot on Ubuntu
>12.04. However, I seemed not to be able to use the rocker bar to scroll one
>line up or down: pressing the left rocker bar (top or bottom) had no effect at
>all, while the right rocker bar moved the physical cursor up or down (which is
>not what happens usually).

That, inadequate as it may be, is actually what I'd expect. Let me explain.

I'm assuming you were using an older release of brltty. At first, the default
settings of the Focus were used. The default settings made the rockers
equivalent to the wheels. In some release (I forget which one), we enabled a
feature which lets the new keys function as new keys rather than as equivalents
to old keys.

At that time, which was early days for that style of Focus, it didn't have many
brltty users. I asked for suggestions regarding what to bind the new keys to
but didn't get a lot of feedback. That's why their bindings are so minimal.

Now is a very good time to give us suggestions as brltty-4.4 is within a week
or so of being released. Please let us know what you think.

If there are any other Focus users with opinions on the matter, please also
offer your suggestions.

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.
EMail: dave at mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | http://Mielke.cc/now.html