[BRLTTY] Would it be easy to make compression of spaces optional?

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Wed May 30 12:16:09 EDT 2012

Hello,
I don't know in the case of brltty, however I would have thought there
might be some things which need considering. Here are some questions
which occur to me:
* What should the spacing be if the contracted Braille is shorter than
the original text? Should the number of spaces in the terminal be
inserted or should it be something else? I imagine the first option
would still lead to tables being a mess, so how does brltty determine
what spacing to use?
* What happens when the contracted Braille is longer than the original
text? An example of this might be is the text were a number and number
signs are being used.
* How should it determine whether a single space is a small column
separation or a space between words? IE. If the contracted Braille were
shorter than the original text and there is a single space, should a
single space be inserted or should it be padded so the next word lines
up where it is in the original?

Its actually wanting things to line up as they do on the screen which
makes me stick with computer Braille when using brltty, then all
characters line up with each other as they should, contracted Braille
looses this.

Michael Whapples