[BRLTTY] Recommended live distribution

S. Massy lists at wolfdream.ca
Wed Sep 19 18:24:57 EDT 2012

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 03:21:40PM +0200, Klaus Knopper wrote:
> Hello David,
>
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 02:25:52PM +0200, David Renström wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good Linux live distribution, i.e.
> > that can be booted from a CD/DVD or a USB flash drive, which has braille
> > support (BRLTTY) available from start. I used to use Knoppix and enter
> > "knoppix blind brltty=ht,usb:" at boot time, but this doesn't work in the
> > newer versions. If someone has got any idea how I can continue to use
> > Knoppix, I would of course be grateful too.
>
> Have you tried the ADRIANE edition of Knoppix, which is specially
> designed for blind computer beginners? It uses sbl instead of brltty,
> which supports program-specific profiles, attribute cursor routing and
> has certain features such as advanced keyboard navigation which are
> AFAIK still missing in brltty. If you don't like the "text-gui" that
> ADRIANE offers, you can as well work with the shell.
Bit OT, but has SBL gotten better at detecting displays and running
automatically? I moved away from Knoppix after the switch to SBL and
ADRIANE because I just couldn't seem to get a plain console with braille
support, which was a pity, as Knoppix was/is a great live distribution.

Good to see you on this list, BTW.

Cheers,
S.M.