[BRLTTY] android

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Fri Apr 5 18:49:25 EDT 2013

Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> wrote:

> There've been significant improvements since the 4.5 apk was released. Let me
> know if you think it's a good idea that we provide the latest apk for download.
> Anyone can build the latest apk, of course, but I'm thinking that we should
> perhaps just always make the very latest work available.

Yes, I think that would be useful. As far as I can tell, Linux distributions
such as Debian don't package the build environment for Android; I don't know
whether this is for licencing reasons (proprietary components for example), or
just attributable to the complexity of the packaging task.

I plan to investigate this more thoroughly when I buy an Android phone, a
purchase that I've been withholding for various reasons but which is becoming
increasingly worthwhile now. I am also considering a braille display with a
braille keyboard, such as the new Brailliant BI from HumanWare.