[BRLTTY] brltty-latest.apk

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sun Apr 7 16:42:22 EDT 2013

[quoted lines by S. Massy on 2013/04/07 at 15:22 -0400]

>Do we have a version of brltty running on
>Android?

Yes, we do. Check out the Android section at the bottom of BRLTTY's Doownload
page. There, you can download the latest apk as well as read the latest
documentation for it. These are being updated every few days.

>Can it drive a display via USB? The BT chip in my display seems to be dead and
>I would very much like to try this, if possible. Any pointers would be
>appreciated.

Yes, it can. You need a special cable, though. The reason is that an Android
device usually functions as a USB device - not as a USB host. It needs to
function as a USB host, though, in order to control peripheral devices. The
special cable you need is called a Micro USB Host Adapter. This cable also, by
the way, let's you connect any other USB device, e.g. a keyboard. You can even
use a hub and connect several devices. Beware, though, that any device which
draws power from its USB port will be drawing power from your phone's battery.
The best solution to this is to use a powered USB hub so that your devices will
draw power from the hub instead.