[BRLTTY] Android app?

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Apr 18 15:54:34 EDT 2013

[quoted lines by Mallard on 2013/04/18 at 20:00 +0200]

>Thanks. I've forwarded your message to my son, who is sighted, and
>works on Arch Linux. I can't connect my phone to the pc, because
>Windows xp doesn't let me do that, unless i install Kies and a lot of
>other stuff, which I'd rather not bother with.

I don't blame you for not wanting to install extra stuff on a Windows system.
:-) Anyway, your son clearly did a good job as I now have your log.

Your problem is the same as another user is having, and I don't udnerstand it.
Can you tell me where you got your brltty apk from, and when you got it? I'm
wondering if you have a version of it that somehow got created incorrectly.

For the curious, this is the problem:

   Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: XML document must start with <preference-headers> tag; foundPreferenceScreen at Binary XML file line #1
   at android.preference.PreferenceActivity.loadHeadersFromResource(PreferenceActivity.java:863)
   at org.a11y.brltty.android.SettingsActivity.onBuildHeaders(SettingsActivity.java:102)
   at android.preference.PreferenceActivity.onCreate(PreferenceActivity.java:628)
   at org.a11y.brltty.android.SettingsActivity.onCreate(SettingsActivity.java:97)
   at android.app.Activity.performCreate(Activity.java:5206)

As you can see, the error is that an XML resource begins with the
<PreferenceScreen> element when it should begin with the <preference-headers>
element. The actual source, however, is actually correct. Brltty's
SettingsActivity object contains the following:

   public void onBuildHeaders (List<Header> headers) {
     loadHeadersFromResource(R.xml.settings_headers, headers);
   }

And the resource in view, res/xml/settings_headers.xml, begins with:

   <preference-headers
     xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android"

So the XML resource really does begin, as it should, with the
<preference-headers> element. So, at least for now, I'm not sure what the
problem is. The fact that we now have two users reporting the very same
problem is intriguing. I hope we'll be able to figure it out.