[BRLTTY] Hid Usb Handytech

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Sun Apr 21 16:54:42 EDT 2013

Werwoelfchen <ddf051.wolf at googlemail.com> writes:

> while experimenting with the Basic Braille braille display by
> Handytech I had to notice that the HID USB is obviously a special kind
> of USB. In the Changelog of Brltty 4.5 you mentioned that Handytech
> displays with Hid are supported.

HandyTech has produced various variants of "HID" devices.  The earliest
are supported since BRLTTY 4.2 (May 2010).

> Is the Basic Braille already supported?

No.

> If not: Is there any way to support all Handytech braille displays
> which are connected via USB Hid?

Well, a generic solution is not feasable since HandyTech has changed
their approach of implementing a protocol on top on USB HID at least
once, with the Active Braille.  I can only guess how the Basic Braille
is doing things.  Possibly similar to the Active Braille, but who knows.

> Some weeks ago I gave you a descrpibtion of the Basic Braille braille
> display. Did this help to understand my problem?

What we need is a protocol specificiation from HandyTech (they have been
quite cooperative in the past about giving us this kind of information
on request).  Ideally, I'd also like to have a test model to make sure
everything really works smoothly.  That brings us to the actual reason
why the Basic Braille is not supported yet.  I've usually been able to
ensure new HandyTech models are supported in a relatively timely manner
because I have a nice agreement with one HandyTech reseller to let me
test new models for BRLTTY development.  However, this reseller is not
selling the Basic Braille, so they can not give me a test model this time.

I should probably try to contact HandyTech directly about this, but have
not gotten around to doing so yet.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕