[BRLTTY] Driver development and way of contribution

ZSIAK Gergo Pal gzsiak at aitia.ai
Wed Feb 20 07:32:09 EST 2013

Hi All,

I am new on the list, so I would like to welcome all BRLTTY users and
developers.

We work on a project which aims to develop a new tactile display, and a
software package and SDK to it. One of the goals on the software side is
to make the device to be able to be used with existing screen reader
applications. After some research we decided to create a BRLTTY-based
solution, because it seems to be used very widely.
In addition to the compatibility driver, we also would like to create
another driver for our emulator. (This is a simple application which has
the same capabilities and programming interface as the real device, thus
it's ideal for testing purposes). I have the following questions
regarding to these:
* What is the license of BRLTTY, under what conditions are we allowed to
create and integrate our driver?
* What the the usual way of integrating the driver? E.g. uploading it
into the official SVN repo, or should we use out driver only in our builds?
* I suppose that the best way of creating such drivers is to implement
functions as described on page "Writing (BrlAPI-compliant) drivers for
brltty", but I'll gladly receive any additional ideas regarding to this.
We aim to create software products which are compatible with Windows 7
and possibly Ubuntu.

Thanks in advance,
Gergo Zsiak

--
ZSIÁK Gergő Pál
kutató-fejlesztő / researcher, developer