[BRLTTY] Driver development and way of contribution

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Fri Feb 22 08:43:32 EST 2013

ZSIAK Gergo Pal <gzsiak at aitia.ai> writes:

> * What is the license of BRLTTY, under what conditions are we allowed
> to create and integrate our driver?

The drivers are GPL licensed.  The API part of BRLTTY is LGPL licensed
to allow more liberal linking of the client side API functions.

> * What the the usual way of integrating the driver? E.g. uploading it
> into the official SVN repo, or should we use out driver only in our
> builds?

You typically send a patch relative to the latest SVN HEAD to the
mailing list, or to dave at mielke.cc.  Dave will commit your patch to the
repo if it passes review.

> * I suppose that the best way of creating such drivers is to implement
> functions as described on page "Writing (BrlAPI-compliant) drivers for
> brltty", but I'll gladly receive any additional ideas regarding to
> this.

No.  BrlAPI clients are basically screen readers that want to reuse the
BRLTTY drivers to avoid having to reimplement drivers themselves.

What you want it to take Drivers/Braille/Skeleton/ and expand on that.

If you know your way around the internal API of BRLTTY, writing drivers
is really quite easy.  With a good spec of the hardware protocol, you
can be finished in a few hours of work.

Let us know if you have any problems, we are happy to assist.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕