[BRLTTY] Braille note MPower

Cheryl Homiak cahomiak at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 18:49:41 EST 2013

Thanks for replying, Dave!
On Jan 4, 2013, at 4:03 PM, Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> wrote:
> "A serial cable which has a female connector at both ends implies that it's a
> cross-over (or null-modem) cable, but that's not necessarily true. Do you know
> which type of serial cable it is?"

it's a null modem cable; that's what I ordered because the documentation said that was what was needed and what originally came with the BN. It is working.

> "There's another possible complication. There's a new KeySoft release which
> brltty doesn't yet support. It could, of course, but it doesn't because I
> haven't yet had access to a device which is running the new KeySoft protocol.
> Which release of KeySoft is on your BrailleNote?"

I'm using 7.5 but may eventually upgrade to 8.1 which is the highest the MPower can go? Is that safe to do for using brltty right now? The actual highest version of KeySoft is I think 9.1 or maybe higher but 8.1 is as high as the MPower can go. The upgrade is $199 so I'm probably not going to rush out and buy it immediately.