[BRLTTY] BrlApi

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Wed Jan 9 19:01:50 EST 2013

Jean-Philippe MENGUAL <mengualjeanphi at free.fr> wrote:
> My 2nd problem: I built all my environment (beyond basic software) in /usr/local,
> including Python2.7 and brltty. To install orca, orca needs (to support braille)
> to find brlapi. I --enable-python-bindings, however, python bindings don't
> seem to install. When I do import brlapi, it doesn't find anything.

It could be that your Python search path (not the same as your operating
system's $PATH variable) does not include the correct directory under
/usr/local to find the bindings. You could of course us the find command and
the other usual tools to find out what has been installed and where it is.

More generally, I would suggest that installing so much software under
/usr/local is really not a good idea and that you would have a much less
painful experience by learning to update and rebuild your distribution's
packages of BRLTTY and other components.

They would then be installed under /usr rather than /usr/local, and you could
upgrade or downgrade at will by simply installing a different packaged
version.

I've had experience of having to find and remove unwanted files under
/usr/local and also of programs that pick up outdated files from there which I
hadn't deleted, and which caused problems later on. In other words, I've been
down the /usr/local route and I don't want to go there again.