[BRLTTY] Focus 40 Blue with Linux/Orca/BRLTTY

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Jan 17 14:16:32 EST 2013

[quoted lines by Tami Jarvis on 2013/01/17 at 07:44 -0800]

>I am mostly wondering how the rocker bars and whiz wheels and other
>specialty keys work with non-windows, non-JAWS systems.

For the following, the term "window" refers to what's visible on the display.
For a Focus 40, therefore, the window length is 40 characters.

The whiz wheels can be used to perform the following functions:

   go to beginning of line: LeftWheelPress
   go to end of line: RightWheelPress
   go up one line: LeftWheelUp
   go down one line: LeftWheelDown
   go left one window: RightWheelUp
   go right one window: RightWheelDown
   go up to nearest line with different content: LeftWheelPress+LeftWheelUp
   go down to nearest line with different content: LeftWheelPress+LeftWheelDown
   go left one character: RightWheelPress+RightWheelUp
   go right one character: RightWheelPress+RightWheelDown
   go up to previous command prompt: LeftAdvance+LeftWheelUp
   go down to next command prompt: LeftAdvance+LeftWheelDown
   go up to last line of previous paragraph: RightAdvance+LeftWheelUp
   go down to first line of next paragraph: RightAdvance+LeftWheelDown
   go up to nearest line with different highlighting: LeftGdf+LeftWheelUp
   go down to nearest line with different highlighting: LeftGdf+LeftWheelDown
   search backward for clipboard text: RightGdf+LeftWheelUp
   search forward for clipboard text: RightGdf+LeftWheelDown
   place left end of window at character: LeftWheelPress+RoutingKey
   describe character: RightWheelPress+RoutingKey

The rocker bars can be used to perform the following functions:

   cursor-up key: LeftRockerUp
   cursor-down key: LeftRockerDown
   go up one line: RightRockerUp
   go down one line: RightRockerDown

No rocker combinations have been defined yet, but this can easily be done in
order to give those keys even more functionality.

>I did have a chance to have a demo model of another brand, only to find out
>that the latest firmware on the wonder machine finally on my desk did not talk
>to my computer at all...

If you encounter anything that doesn't work correctly with brltty then please
give details.