[BRLTTY] Focus 40 Blue with Linux/Orca/BRLTTY

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Thu Jan 17 10:44:16 EST 2013

On 01/17/2013 05:41 AM, Mario Lang wrote:
> What particular features are you thinking about?

I am mostly wondering how the rocker bars and whiz wheels and other
specialty keys work with non-windows, non-JAWS systems.

> I have recently validated that it works with BRLTTY.
> There were no obvious problems.  However, I have to admit that I did not
> test it in combination with Orca.  While it should work with Orca in
> principle, I can not say if all key bindings are convenient for Orca users.

Good to know! Thanks!

> It might be necessary to use xbrlapi to get braille keyboard input to
> work with X11.  But this is the same for every braille display which is
> supported by BRLTTY and which has a braille keyboard.

Okay. I did not think about that, but will remember it! /smile/

 > Do you have a specific question you are unsure about?

Nope! /smile/ I'm just wanting to make sure that when I am able to make
a purchase, I don't find I just bought myself any unexpected to solve. I
did have a chance to have a demo model of another brand, only to find
out that the latest firmware on the wonder machine finally on my desk
did not talk to my computer at all... It's something that could have
been worked with by going back to an earlier firmware version; however,
it just doesn't make sense to me to continue with a tool that has just
been upgraded to lack Linux support. So now I know to make sure that
what *should* work will work!

Thanks for the great answer and information.

Tami