[BRLTTY] Focus 40 Blue with Linux/Orca/BRLTTY

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Thu Jan 17 08:41:09 EST 2013

Tami Jarvis <tami at poodlemutt.com> writes:

> I'm looking at the Focus 40 Blue refreshable braille display for
> purchase. It has all the features I'm looking for at this
> point. However, as a Linux user, I'm wondering if I will be able to
> use the features with my system.

What particular features are you thinking about?

> Does anyone have experience with that display with Linux?

I have recently validated that it works with BRLTTY.
There were no obvious problems.  However, I have to admit that I did not
test it in combination with Orca.  While it should work with Orca in
principle, I can not say if all key bindings are convenient for Orca users.

> If so, are there any issues to be aware of when it comes to using the
> navigational features and braille keyboard?

It might be necessary to use xbrlapi to get braille keyboard input to
work with X11.  But this is the same for every braille display which is
supported by BRLTTY and which has a braille keyboard.

> What about for computer/math/science-related braille forms? Or is that
> included in the classification "contracted braille" the literature
> mentions?

Again, this is not related to a particular display at all.
Your question is more generic about BRLTTY and Orca on Linux.
You mention that you are already using Linux?
Do you have a specific question you are unsure about?

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕