[BRLTTY] x11 configuration problem

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Tue Jun 25 23:22:58 EDT 2013

acollins at icsmail.net <acollins at icsmail.net> wrote:
> Hello all.  I'm having a problem getting brltty 4.5 running under Debian
> squeeze to display my gnome session.  I'm using my own compiled version,
> not the Debian package, as there isn't a 4.5 version Debian package
> available yet.

Actually, there is a package available in the unstable repository. You would
need to upgrade to Wheezy first however, which at some point will be necessary
anyway. Then you should be able simply to install specific packages from
unstable or testing.

I don't know what you're missing in the version that you compiled yourself.
You need Brlapi and, if you're planning to run Orca, the Brlapi Python
bindings.

You might be able to build Brltty yourself from the Debian sources -
debchecout brltty will download them. In general, though, I would suggest a
system upgrade.