[BRLTTY] HumanWare Brailliant, connection issues?

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Fri Jun 28 08:45:02 EDT 2013

Hi.

I am testing a HumanWare Braillaint B 80 right now.
I think this display has the nicest feeling braille I have seen in a
long time.  So I would really like to work with it in the future.
However, I am seeing some instabilities which make me concerned.  For
one, BRLTTY manages to initialize this device via USB only about 1 out
of 3 tries.  Bluetooth seems to work always, but sometimes bluetooth
connection attempts actually hang the firmware on the Braillaint.  Is
anyone else using newer Braillaitn devices with BRLTTY and seeing
similar problems?  I am trying to figure out if this is a generic
problem with the device, or if I perhaps have got a somewhat faulty
unit.

Another issue I see is that it is apparently not possible to turn the
device off.  If it is connected via USB, turning the device off produces
a sound and blanks the display, but if a driver (BRLTTY) is trying to
connect to it, the display will happily wake up and accept the
connection (sometimes).  Since BRLTTY tries to reconnect once it looses
the connection, this is sort of a problem.  I have to disconnect USB and
manually set the device to accept USB connections only to prevent BRLTTY
from reconnecting to it.  Do you see similar issues with Braillaint BI
40 models?

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang/key at db.debian.org
 : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
 `. `'