[BRLTTY] brltty for android and the focus 14

yRylan Vroom dj.sonr at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 18:31:21 EST 2013

Hello list, I decided to take the plunge and, in order to get my
braille literacy back after 15 years or so of not using braille at
all, I purchased a new Freedom Scientific Focus 14 braille display. My
plan was to shut the speech off on my phone running android 4.3 AOSP
and exclusively interact with the device using braille. I got less
than stellar results with google's BrailleBack, (you can't use
brailleback without talkback, the key bindings for the focus 14 aren't
the best, etc) so someone on the eyesfree list suggested I come here.
I got the latest android APK for BRLTTY installed, and though I get
some braille output when I fire up the accessibility service, I have
no way of knowing what should do what, buttons wise. I took a gander
at the BRLTTY driver documentation and found a bunch of focuses, none
of which were the new focus 14 blue. I did some more research and
discovered that someone had patched BRLTTY to run with the new focus
(without the whizzy wheels), but when I tried to look up the "help
screen" from within BRLTTY settings, all I got was a message stating
that help wasn't available. Can anyone help me out? I'm no programmer,
but if such documentation doesn't in fact exist, I'd be happy to write
it for inclusion into the next release. cheers

Rylan