[BRLTTY] BrlAPI & qemu, focus problem

Elias Oltmanns eo at nebensachen.de
Fri Nov 22 08:30:49 EST 2013

Hi all,

for some reason, the braille output from qemu seems to get misrouted, as
it were. Here's the setup:
1. The host system is running brltty and xbrlapi as part of an
   X session.
2. From a gnome-terminal, I'm running:
   $ qemu-system-i386 ... -serial braille
3. Inside the VM (Windows 7), I'm starting brltty configured to send
   output to COM1 and with braille device autodetection enabled.

At this stage, the physical braille terminal does not respond to the
startup of brltty inside the VM. However, once I switch away from qemu
back to the terminal window where qemu has been launched, the physical
braille terminal suddenly starts reacting to the brltty process inside
the VM and I can, strangely enough, navigate the terminal window inside
the VM rather than the terminal window of the host system which, to all
intents and purposes, is the focused one as it receives all keyboard
input and is presented by Orca (speech output).

Can anyone suggest a course of action in this situation?

Thanks in advance,

Elias