[BRLTTY] Simultaneous Keyboard, Mouse and Braille Display device Usage (General clarification)

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Feb 4 15:57:52 EST 2014

[quoted lines by Siju Samuel on 2014/02/04 at 13:04 -0600]

>In general is it expected the mouse, keyboard and braille display device to
>work   simultaneously ?  Especially when we input characters though braille
>display,  is it expected the input  chars can be made though key board as
>well? What is the general user expectation.

While it's probably rather presumptuous for any of us to speak on behalf of
everyone, my own opinion is that it probably depends on the environment. For
example, when using a desktop or laptop I believe the expectation would be that
they all work together and that none of them precludes the use of the others.
In other words, connecting a braille device which has a keyboard shouldn't
disable the computer's keyboard.

>I noticed in IOS ( ipad) when the  braille option  turned on  it is not
> providing an option to  get touch-screen-keyboard.

This is a different issue. My guess is that the very same thing happens if
you're using a Bluetooth keyboard with iOS. The issue, in this case, is screen
usage. An on-screen keyboard consumes a fair amount of the area of the screen
on a small device. These platforms, therefore, tend to be designed so that half
(or maybe even more) of the screen isn't hidden by an on-screen keyboard if an
external keyboard is connected.