[BRLTTY] Chords in brlapi

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Feb 17 21:31:38 EST 2014

[quoted lines by Peter Nilsson Lundblad on 2014/02/11 at 14:17 -0800]

>I'd like to get access to chords (space plus dots) thought brlapi.
>I am setting the retaindots flag to yes in the api parameters and I
>get other dot combinations though the BRLAPI_KEY_CMD_PASSDOTS command.
>I had the impression that the BRLAPI_DOTC flag would be set in the
>argumets bits for chords, but that's not what I am seeing.

Your impression is correct except that this feature isn't working very well
anymore. It's really an old feature which dates back to before key tables. It
made sense, then, since there needed to be a way to tell the drivers to return
the space bar (chord key).

These days, however, with key tables, this feature really doesn't make all that
much sense anymore as it has everything to do with hard-coded key bindings.
Commands, these days, should be defined in key tables. I'm almost of the
opinion that it's time to fully remove the retainDots feature. Is there an
actual case which would justify its revival?