[BRLTTY] Converting Braille input to text

Daniel Dalton daniel.dalton10 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 19:59:22 EDT 2015

Hello,
I'm doing some android development where I am receiving user input in the
form of Braille cell digits. I would like to convert the digits eg. 123 to
"l".

This seems non-trivial with the various rules in each Braille table plus
the fact I want to support as many Braille tables as possible.

Initially played around with using brltty / liblouis tables and writing my
own parser to handle the input. Works ok for grade 1 tests so far, but only
supports very basic inputs (letters, number, some punctuation).
Is continuing to write my own parser the best way to go? Seems very
tedious. Also found some liblouis java bindings that might help, but I'm
not sure that liblouis is designed for this type of thing? Also the
documentation for the java bindings is some what vague from what I can tell.

Alternatively, does Brltty have any apis that could help me?

Thanks for any help with this one.
Daniel