[BRLTTY] Pneumatic braille based on balls in a tube

timothyhobbs at seznam.cz timothyhobbs at seznam.cz
Fri Apr 24 09:13:25 EDT 2015

For a long time I looked at the raspberry pi, and at some other single board
computers. I ran into several problems. The most pressing problem with
single board computers is the difficulty of connecting them up in a small
case. The raspberry pi, for example, takes its power from USB. The idea of
having a USB cable inside the case of my device seems wobbly, and weird, and
space consuming. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to arrange
such computers so that the ports would be accessible and never came up with
a good solution.

The second and totally unrelated problem, was that I wanted to use one of
the open source boards, but none of the boards which fit my requirement of
wifi access were really open source. For example, the wandboard, and the
minnowboard both claim to be open source, but neither has full schematics,
BOMs, and firmware source code available. I would far rather support an
honestly proprietary product than to support a liar who wasn't open source
anyways.

There are several SOM https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer-on-module
specifications which allow for interchangable computer boards to be used in
a project such as this one. These boards tend to be more expensive than the
single board pcs, probably because they are not mass produced. However, from
an engineering standpoint it really seems to create a more robust and
upgradable design.

Tim