[BRLTTY] Pneumatic braille based on balls in a tube

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Sat Apr 25 06:31:02 EDT 2015

<timothyhobbs at seznam.cz> writes:

> For the past 40 years, there has been new a miracle technology which will
> bring us cheap multi-line braille displays announced every 6 months. Each
> time a technology is announced, the inventor is interviewed in the news
> paper (page A4, bellow the fold) and subsequently anointed as a saint
> (figuratively of course). After the single news article, the inventor
> disappears from the face of the earth. Did you read about the latest one?
> Some Chinese design student "invented" a braille camera. Won some sort of
> award for drawing a picture of a camera with dots on the back. Absolutely no
> mention about how those dots are going to move. News media went crazy about
> "how it's wonderful how modern technology is opening up the world for the
> blind". But you're still reading this on a clunky old (clunky new) piezo
> display, aren't you? Has "modern technology" really progressed so much in
> the past 40 years?

I know these stories, and I know about many failed attempts to replace
piezzo.  I hope your project is going to be different, but from
experience (which you list above), I am not very convinced :-)

BTW, another issue that many alternative systems have is latency.  As a
potential user, noise and latency are my biggest concerns.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang/key at db.debian.org
 : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
 `. `'