[BRLTTY] Windows libusb problem

Lars Bjørndal lars at lamasti.net
Fri Aug 14 09:09:11 EDT 2015

I have som more comments and questions to my problem:

On lø., aug. 01, 2015 at 07:51:42 +0200, Lars Bjørndal wrote:
> Hello, Samuel end list!
>
> I'd like to run the BRLTTY build for Windows, and use a Handy Tech Active
> Braille display. The system is a 64 bit Windows 7. I get an error when I
> try to install the brltty-libusb .inf file. The error is
> something like: The installation method is unsupported for the selected
> inf file. Is there a solution for this problem?

I've now read more closely the READMEs provided with the packages
brltty-win-5.2-1-libusb-1.0 and brltty-win-5.2-1-libusb that I found
under the download section on brltty.com.

If I've understand the documentation correctly, I should go with the
latter package, as the manufacture driver for my device does not
support a virtual com port, and I plan to use the display not only for BRLTTY,
but also for other screen readres, and because of that, need the
manufacture's driver as well.

In the README.txt file in the top directory of the package
brltty-win-5.2-1-libusb, you say the following:

  * If you need to install its manufacturer's driver, but
    that driver does not define a virtual COM port, then
    select USB:, and install LibUSB-Win32's filter by doing one of the
    following:
    + run Install LibUSB-Win32 Filter from the Start Menu
    + answer yes to the setup prompt for installing the LibUSB-Win32 filter

I'm afraid I don't understand exactly what I should do. Can you please
explain more detailed what steps I need to do to get my setup working?
Do I need to download LibUSB-Win32 first?

Thank you and regards,

Lars