[BRLTTY] Queries on Navigation in Android

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Aug 24 19:13:19 EDT 2015

[quoted lines by Rob on 2015/08/24 at 16:21 -0500]

>That worked. But the block style cursor did not show up indicating a
>text area. That's what was throwing me off.

Sometimes, on Android, you need to long click a text area to open it. Maybe you
could try to see if that text area is one of those.

>Contracted braille is enabled. Since the send button is capitalized,
>and since that takes up one cell, I actually hit the second
>button--the one over the letter s--to bring focus. Just to be sure,
>though, I hit the first button, too--the one over the dot six
>indicating capital.

It's possible that contracted braille is interfering with determining which
routing key you're pressing. Could you try it with contracted braille turned
off in order to see if that's a factor?

>I downloaded the App On July twenty-third, I believe, from brltty.com.

That should be fine. I wonder if that bug isn't fully fixed.

>I keep the Braille device around my neck and the phone in its case on
>my belt, so, yes, this isn't likely to be the issue. I'm not that
>tall. Grin.

It could be if the Bluetooth antenna of either device is right up against your
body because our bodies make rather effective electrical grounds. Also, since
Bluetooth uses approximately 2.4GHz, is has a wave length of approximately
12cm. Since that's close to the diameter of our bodies, we ourselves can create
rather complex interference patterns for Bluetooth signals. Perhaps you could
test what happens when you move either or both devices a little further away
from yourself.