[BRLTTY] BRLTTY on Android

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Thu Dec 3 15:40:04 EST 2015

Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> writes:

> [quoted lines by Mario Lang on 2015/12/03 at 19:41 +0100]
>
>>While I am personally unlikely to use this feature, I know that it is
>>being offered in JAWS at least.  In fact, I remember having to turn it
>>off, because they had it enabled as default for new installations.
>>Come to think of it, I seem to remember that VoiceOver does something
>>similar on iOS and Mac OS X.
>>This seems to indicate that there is a number of users around that would
>>actually prefer this behaviour.
>
> I think we have all the pieces to support such a mode. It'd be like using a
> contraction table that simply translates each character to itself.

Hmm, alternatively, we could also scroll horizontally a few characters
less if necessary, and treat the last cells differently, probably
masking them away.

>>When underlyining attributes in this new mode, we should include *one* space
>>before stopping.  This is what I have seen in other screen readers, and it
>>makes quite a lot of sense.
>
> I'm not understanding.
> also, given that different characters of the same word can have different
> highlighting, it seems wrong to me to be anything other than precisely
> accurate.

Ohh, now I get where I was blurry.  What I mean is, if a word is
followed by spaces, and those are highlighted, this should still
be displayed.  Only incomplete *words* should be masked away.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕