[BRLTTY] brltty crashing shortly after starting

Mike Gorse mgorse at alum.wpi.edu
Mon Dec 7 14:40:37 EST 2015

Hi Dave,

I'm sorry for not replying sooner--I've been meaning to investigate more.

>> That may have helped; I don't appear to be seeing the divide error
>> anymore.
>
> Does it work right away when you connect it, now?

If I enable brltty via systemd, then it works correctly, with or without
the patch.

If I install the unmodified udev rules file and connect my device, then,
without the patch, I get the crash. With the patch, it doesn't crash in
this way, but it still doesn't start up correctly, but I think that that
is basically a known issue in that the udev file isn't intended to work
unmodified with systemd. Ie, the systemd documentation indicates that the
Run directive is intended for a short-running program, rather than a
daemon, and it will kill the program if it does not exit shortly after
being started.

I've tried modifying the rules file to replace the Run=/bin/brltty line
with
TAG+="systemd", ENV{SYSTEMD_WANTS}+="brltty.target"

and I still cannot get it to start, with or without the patch. I'm not
sure what is going wrong--perhaps I still don't have the right thing in my
rules file.

So, ultimately, I haven't been able to get brltty to start up via udev,
with or without the patch.

-Mike