[BRLTTY] brltty crashing shortly after starting

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Dec 7 16:08:30 EST 2015

[quoted lines by Mike Gorse on 2015/12/07 at 14:40 -0500]

>If I install the unmodified udev rules file and connect my device,
>then, without the patch, I get the crash. With the patch, it doesn't
>crash in this way,

Thanks. The patch is now committed to the development stream.

>but it still doesn't start up correctly, but I
>think that that is basically a known issue in that the udev file
>isn't intended to work unmodified with systemd. Ie, the systemd
>documentation indicates that the Run directive is intended for a
>short-running program, rather than a daemon, and it will kill the
>program if it does not exit shortly after being started.

The latest brltty service unit for systemd assumes that configure has
autodetected the systemd development package. If configure isn't autodetecting
systemd's development package then the older brltty service unilt needs to be
used. I'll add it back to the repository and write a bit about this in
README.Systemd.

There are two possibilities for why configure isn't autodetecting systemd's
development package. One is that you haven't installed it. The other is that it
doesn't exist in your distributin because it's using an older version of
systemd that doesn't yet support it.