[BRLTTY] help with blind customer with freedom scientific focus 80 (i believe)

Øyvind Lode oyvind.lode at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 07:02:30 EST 2015

Hi:

On 12 December 2015 at 09:31, Mario Lang <mlang at delysid.org> wrote:
> Mark Croft Redditch Linux Mint <mark.croft.lug at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> does brltty work well under windows?
>
> I have no experience with BRLTTY on Windows.  Other people might be able
> to chime in.
>
>> will it make her focus 80 work in windows 7/8/10?
>
> The Focus should be supported with BRLTTY

BRLTTY works fine in windows but only in the console (command prompt).

BRLTTY is a text mode only Braille driver after all.

To use Windows one needs an additional screen reader.

I'm using NVDA - an open source screen reader for Windows.

http://www.nvaccess.org

NVDA should have native support for her Braille display.

If not NVDA can let brltty handle braille by simply chosing brltty as
the braille display.
This will also require brltty to be installed and configured.

The same applies to Linux.

brltty will not be able to display any text under GUI in Linux.

GNOME and other desktop environments provide a screen reader called Orca.

Orca also have braille support but not natively.
Orca depends on brltty to output braille.

Orca calls brlapi or whatever it's called to output Braille with
brltty in GUI mode.

Hope that helps

-Øyvind