[BRLTTY] windows & apple support

Øyvind Lode oyvind.lode at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 02:42:50 EST 2015

Hi:

On 12 December 2015 at 23:03, Mark Croft Redditch Linux Mint
<mark.croft.lug at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi
>
> same customer with FreedomScientific Focus 80 i believe now.
>
> does nvda and brltty work together well and not to painful to get them
> talking to each other?

Yes, it should be easy.
Install brltty and configure it.
Install NVDA and in Braille options set brltty as the Braille display.
NVDA will then "talk" to brltty to output Braille.

I've not used this approach myself since NVDA have native support for
my Braille display.

I just checked in Braille options and I cannot see Freedom Scientific displays.
So, this means your option to use this Braille display with NVDA is to
go the brltty route.

> what options are there on apple mac laptops i am not sure which one
> she thinking of getting but wants to know about assitance technology
> on apple platform. does brltty work on apple? is there an similar open
> source tool like nvda on apple?

No, Apple Mac OS ships with it's own screen reader called VoiceOver.
I believe it has Braille support.
But I have never used a Mac so I can't comment more.

brltty should work on Mac but you most likely need to build it
yourself and it will only output when in the Mac CLI / terminal.