[BRLTTY] Problem with kernel module

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Dec 14 02:54:36 EST 2015

[quoted lines by payman shaykhmehdi on 2015/12/14 at 10:21 +0330]

>when I run brltty the following error appears :
>
>*     brltty: kernel module not installed: pcspkr*

This is just a warning. It means that the pcspkr kernel module can't be
modrobed, which, as far as brltty is concerned, isn't a problem. It might be a
problem for the user, though.

Brltty plays what we call alert tunes for events the user might care about,
e.g. trying to navigate beyond the edge of the screen, wrapping to the
next/previous line, skipping over blank lines, etc. The default is to use the
PC speaker to play these tunes. Its tune device can, however, be changed from
within brltty's preferences menu to other things, e.g. to play PCM audio via
the sound card.

Additionally, the about-to-be released version (5.3) of brltty contains a new
feature that helps overcome a related problem. Wthout a physical PC speaker, or
without the pcspkr kernel module, the regular console bell can't be heard
either. Since a blind user can't see a visual bell, being able to hear the
console bell is important to many. Brltty has a new setting called Console Bell
Alert. If this setting is enabled then brltty listens for Linux console bell
events, and plays them via its current tune device. So, with brltty running and
this new setting enabled, and with the tune device set to PCM, the old familiar
console bell can again be heard via the speakers, headset, or whatever the user
is using.

>My os is  Raspbian (Raspberry Pi modification of debian) and 'modprobe
>pcspkr' command says :  "modprobe: FATAL: Module pcspkr not found".

So that's why brltty can't install it either. That's exactly what it tries to
do.