[BRLTTY] Stopping brltty in Debian; also starting a different brltty and running brltty sooner

Cheryl Homiak cah4110 at icloud.com
Sat Dec 19 00:50:14 EST 2015

>> On Nov 2, 2015, at 2:56 AM, Mario Lang <mlang at delysid.org> wrote:
>>
>> This looks like systemd.  Try "systemctl stop brltty".
>> Sysstemd is indeed a completely new beast.  THe inittab as such is gone,
>> as far as I know.  systemd does dependency-based booting.
>> So you specify the actual point where BRLTTY should be run by changing
>> your unit file.
>>
>> This brings me to your development version.  You could write a new
>> systemd unit file, something like brltty-github.service.
>> This would start your local installation.
>> You can then start/stop these two individually.
>>
>> You can look at/lib/systemd/system/brltty.service for an example.  Copy that to /etc/systemd/system/brltty-github.service and adjust the file.  Don't forget to call "systemctl daemon-reload".
>>
>> --

I am replying to this former message so that anybody replying will know what instructions I am following. I am running debian Jesse. The instructions for starting and stopping brltty work just fine. So do the instructions for switching to the latest development version and/or the debian distribution that comes with Jesse. So now I have the following questions:

1. Debian's brltty package uses /sbin/brltty for the daemon. My development version is in /usr/local but I am not using /sbin as far as I know. While it appears to run fine when I switch to it, I'm wondering whether I have to have some way of starting the daemon from /sbin if I want to switch to the development version as the one that automatically boots and have it start up as early as I can.

2. I am not very familiar with systemctl yet. I basically copied and modified the debian brltty unit file and modified it to start the development version instead. What changes do I have to make to be able to boot the development version at startup instead of the debian package and which files do I need to edit? I am attaching my unit file for the development version which I am referring to as brltty-github.

3. I notice that although my mid-2007 mac mini running debian plays sound alerts in brltty when I use the debian version, I get no alert tunes when I switch to the development version even though I use the same preference choices that I see for the debian package. Does anybody know why this would be and what I can do about it?

I am wanting to use the development version of brltty on my debian system just as I am using it on my Mac so that I can check that all the changed key bindings are working correctly for my Braille Edge on both Mac and linux. This is one of the reasons why I want to use the development version instead of the current debian Jesse package and right now it would be easier if I could just run the development version on boot-up because the debian package on Jessie does not yet have the latest updates for the braille edge. Any help will be appreciated greatly.

Thanks.
--
Cheryl

May the words of my mouth