[BRLTTY] Stopping brltty in Debian; also starting a different brltty and running brltty sooner

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Sat Dec 19 09:18:34 EST 2015

Cheryl Homiak <cah4110 at icloud.com> wrote:

> 1. Debian's brltty package uses /sbin/brltty for the daemon. My development
> version is in /usr/local but I am not using /sbin as far as I know. While it
> appears to run fine when I switch to it, I'm wondering whether I have to
> have some way of starting the daemon from /sbin if I want to switch to the
> development version as the one that automatically boots and have it start up
> as early as I can.

The location of the daemon doesn't matter, as long as your systemd unit file
or your init script (I'm not sure which is used in your version of Debian, as
they've been making a transition to systemd) refers to the executable program
you want to start during the boot process.

For example, on a systemd machine I have the following line in
/lib/systemd/system/brltty.service:

ExecStart=/usr/bin/brltty --pid-file=/run/brltty.pid

I'm not sure how you would change this, but I think you have to copy it into
/etc/systemd/system and then modify the above line, e.g., to refer to
/usr/local/bin/brltty or whatever you need.

If you're still running the old SystemV init scripts, then the change that
needs to be made is in /etc/init.d/brltty, which is a shell script. Again, you
would just change the path to the executable file.