[BRLTTY] Braille Sense qwerty keyboard support.

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Sat Dec 19 09:13:38 EST 2015

Vincent LE GOFF <vincent.legoff.srs at gmail.com> writes:

> I was referring to the other keyboard, as a matter of fact.  The
> computer's.  On NVDA and Orca (and I think on BRLTTY), one can use the
> numpad7 and numpad9 to go up and down in the window.

Yes, and Dave's suggestion to use -kkeypad will allow you to do just
that.
If you instruct BRLTTY to load a keyboard key table, it will snoop on
all the keypresses from your normal computer keyboard, and catch does
keypresses which are defined in your keyboard key table.  Those keys not
defined in your keyboard key table will be forwarded as usual to the
system, while those defined in your keyboard key table will only trigger
the corresponding BRLTTY command, and not be forwarded to the operating
system kernel.  This is, in fact, one of the most useful features added
to BRLTTY in the recent years.

I, for instance, use a Sun Microsystems Type 6 USB keyboard, which has
roughly 20 extra keys on it which you normally do not find on a computer
keyboard.  All these keys can be freely configured with BRLTTY keyboard
key tables, without me having to even worry about any key conflicts.

For a quick overview of which key combinations will be available with a
keypad keyboard key table, you can either read
/etc/brltty/Keyboard/keypad.ktb with your favourite text editor or
pager.  Alternatively, you can instruct BRLTTY to load the keypad key
table, and view all the bindings with the BRLTTY Help Menu.  If a
keyboard key table is loaded, a second invokation of the corresponding HELP
command will provide you with a listing of all bindings specific to your
computer keyboard.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕