[BRLTTY] Android BRLTTY problem

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Feb 16 18:23:23 EST 2015

[quoted lines by Andrew Jelly on 2015/02/16 at 13:54 +0100]

>I tried to use BRLTTY (version 5.2) for Android (4.0.3) but for
>different displays, it has different behaviors.
>One display - Focus 14 from Freedom Scientific is connected properly
>and running.
>Another - BraillePen12T from Harpo cannot connect.

Are you letting the driver auto-detect, or have you selected a specific driver?
If you've selected a specific driver, which one?

The BP12 is interesting in that it uses protocols implemented by other drivers.
Older BP12s need the Voyager driver whereas newer ones default to needing the
Alva driver (although there's a way to switch them back to the Voyager
protocol).

BRLTTY uses the device's Bluetooth device name to direct it to the correct
driver. I don't yet know what the Bluetooth name of a Braille Pen looks like,
so it isn't in brltty's Bluetooth device name table. Can you send me exactly
what it's Bluetooth device name is. Note that things like case and where spaces
are are important.

>adb logcat print an error
>either:
>E/org.a11y.brltty.android.BluetoothConnection (1068): Bluetooth
>connect failed:
>00:A0:96:16:81:A3: [JSR82] connect: Connection is not created (failed
>or aborted).
>
>or:
>D/org.a11y.brltty.android.BluetoothConnection (1068): Bluetooth input
>exception: 00:A0:96:16:81:A3: [JSR82] read: read () failed.

I can't see enough in your logs to know exactly what brltty was doing at the
time. Could you please go into brltty's Advanced Settings screen and set the
Log Level to Debug, as well as enable the log category named Bluetooth I/O?

One thing your log does contain is a lot more Android debug information for
Bluetooth. I don't (yet) know how to get it to do that. Would you mind giving
me a lesson (or more) on how to get Android to log this additional information?